Mar 4, 2008

No.. I wanted that without cheese!

Ever notice even fast food restaurants don't charge you when they make a mistake on your order. Read the following notce posted on www.oahhs.org
----------------------------------------------
Oregon's hospital trade group issued guidelines this week under which the state's 57 hospitals would not charge for care related to serious, preventable mistakes. Qualifying events include "never events" like wrong-site operations, wrong operations, leaving foreign objects inside surgery patients and giving patients the wrong blood type. In general, hospitals won't charge if an event was "preventable and was in control of the hospital," according to a statement from the Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems. The group is abiding by standards set by the Oregon Patient Safety Commission.
The trade group's announcement follows a string of similar announcements by other state hospital associations, including hospitals in Massachusetts, Washington and Minnesota. It also follows on Medicare's decision not to pay for care resulting from never events and other errors that cause serious adverse results.
----------------------------------------------
Glad to see they're comming on board. What was their polocy before?

3 comments:

Peaches said...

First off, When they say they aren't going to charge you.... I think they just mean they won't charge you for the Extra Items they left behind or the wrong blood they used, or removing that pesky left foot... etc. That's just good PR, I mean what kind of slap in the face would it be to the patient if they charged you for that extra 12 inch long spacer they left in your abdomen on top of all the other hospital expenses.

Second, I din't read the notice, it had too many of those things I call words, but I doubt the ongoing surgery or PT resulting from there F-up will be covered.

It's like when I order no cheese on my melted chese sandwich and they send me out cheese on a Sandwich. When I point it out, they may send me out the correct sandwich at "no Charge" a half hour later, but I still have to pay for the Sandwich and they don't even compensate me for the emotional duress caused by seeing or touching a cheese sandwich let alone compensate me for my lost time waiting.

All I'm saying and I think you will agree. It is not natural for humans to eat Cow Milk Products, think of all the traped starving calves being starved in there lightproof boxes that are eventually turned into veal because humans eat all the moo cow milk and cheese. It's just inhumane... not to mention tasty. mmmmmm. veal

Cindi said...

Eh - all I read into it is that they are attempting to lower the overall costs of a med-mal lawsuit down the road in the event one of these situations happen. If they pay the patient off in terms of their bill, the patient can't go after them for the hospital bills in a lawsuit, but only non-punitive damages, which saves them $$ in the long-run.

What were they doing before now? Getting their hineys sued left and right, costing them a lot of money.

They can spin it all they want, but it seems clear to me, this is no more than a CYA attempt with some PR language.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Cindi said...

What's your opinion?

:)