Mar 20, 2008

Spiritual Advisor

What does your spiritual advisor say?

If I have to listen to someone spew rhetoric again my core beliefs (or values), I'd leave the room, the church, the classroom, or the meeting. If there was no way to defend my beliefs, I'd walk. I'm all for challenging my beliefs - that's why this blog is here - To challenge myself and others who read this. What are your core beliefs and can they be challenged?

I've noticed in my life certain beleifs I hold closer to me than others. Think of it like a spider's web. If a belief is proven wrong close to the edge of the web I won't have to fix the entire structure of the web - just a little cosmetic work will do. If a belief closer to the center gets proven incorrect - that's where it get more troublesom. I have used that belief to form other beliefs and now those beleifs are in doubt also. Think about it?

Could you imagine the earth being flat! Would that change other beliefs or values.
What if global warming is wrong? What were all those scientists doing for so long? Is their life's work for nothing?
What if money had no value? . . . . . . Wait that one is true, sorry.
Think about the movie "The Matrix" what if this was all a dream and you woke up attached to a machine?

I'm all for having my beliefs(values) challenged. I've even been wrong on some of the ones very close to me. I survived and have become stronger because of the challenge. what about you?

1 comment:

Cindi said...

My core beliefs stem from my faith as a Christian. Have I questioned my faith? Sure. But, just when I do, by golly He comes along and proves Himself time and time again. I have found it difficult to defend my faith or be challenged by others unless I have full knowledge of the Bible, so I leave that to the scholars.

I tried to defend my faith and was challenged once by a good friend of ours. I could feel the spiritual warfare during those conversations. We didn't talk after that for 5 years.

In terms of social beliefs, I used to be more black and white than I am now. More shades of grey. I guess because I had been challenged at some point and could see their point of view, or their personal experience that I hadn't thought of before.